Health insurance

It's mandatory for international students to have a health insurance in Poland. EU/EEA citizens are allowed to exercise their healthcare rights on a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) basis. Citizens of other countries must buy the commercial insurance policy covering the healthcare costs in their countries, or pay for a voluntary policy in Polish National Healthcare Fund. The policy cost ranges from 36 PLN to 279 PLN monthly, depending on a number of medical procedures included. To get a policy it's necessary to present the university certificate of enrollment, student ID card, the temporary residence certificate and passport with valid visa or residence permit. More information on

Basic medical care

In order to obtain basic medical care, you must visit a doctor who has signed an agreement with NFZ and present the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate. The basic medical care covers tests and consultation with a GP. The doctor may also send the patient to diagnostic tests, to a specialist or to hospital.


In the case of an accident, injury, childbirth, sudden illness or sudden deterioration of health, you must call an ambulance or go directly to hospital, in particular to the hospital A&E department (SOR). The medical transport is free of charge in such cases. The European Health Insurance Card or a substitute certificate must be presented in hospital.
Emergency ambulance service:
from landlines 999
from mobile phones 112

More about the Card on the following Websites:
National Health Fund:
European commission: